Diet and Cancer, know it all.
Guwahati/ 28th July’2017 (Prag News Desk): Assam is a state, which witnesses more than 11,000 new cancer patients every year.
With the increased rate of cancer in the state, people seem to have become more aware of the measures that one can follow in controlling the harm it causes on the health of the patients.
One of the most important measures to control cancer is the type of food cancer patient have in regular basis.
According to the experts at the Outpatient Pharmacy,National Cancer Centre Singapore,the following food chart a cancer patient can maintain during and after treatment
- Oranges provide vitamin C
- Bananas, kiwi, peaches, mangoes, pears and strawberries for vitamins and fibre
- Avocadoes, guava, apricots, figs, prunes and raisins for energy
- Tomatoes, carrots, peas, pumpkin and turnips for vitamins and fibre
- Tomatoes, tomato puree and parsley (especially good for prostate cancer patients)
- Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage contain plant chemicals that can convert bad oestrogen into good oestrogen, and hence reduce cancer risk as well as the risk of a relapse
- Asparagus and Brussel sprouts for their rich antioxidants
- Bitter gourd for lowering blood sugar levels
- Green leafy vegetables for calcium and iron Proteins
- Lean meat, fish, poultry, eggs, tauhu and taukwa
- Dairy products, nuts, dried beans, dhals and chickpeas
- Fish and soy foods (especially good for prostate cancer patients) Carbohydrates
- Rice, noodles, chapatti, wholegrain bread and pasta
- Wholegrain crackers, oats, corn, potatoes, beans and dairy products
- Honey, consumed in moderation for its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which may help in preventing infections Foods to avoid as a cancer patient
- Deep fried, grilled, barbequed, baked meats since subjecting animal protein to high heat creates carcinogenic byproducts called heterocyclic amines
- Excessive intake of salt, sugar, and oily foods
- Red meat and processed meats such as bacon, ham, sausages
- Preserved foods like pickles, jams, kiam chye (salted mustard green), and century eggs as they contain nitrites which are carcinogeni
- Minimise alcohol
Additionally, cancer patients should stay in positive environment,surrounded by people, who have optimistic impression towards life and they should avoid vitamin intake in large quantities as vitamins act as antioxidants ,which can interfere in the process of chemotherapy