Mumbai: In a sensational and utterly shocking incident that shook Maharashtra early morning, 10 newborns died after a massive fire broke out at the Bhandara District General Hospital in Maharashtra. The fire broke out at around 2 am at the Sick Newborn Care Unit of the hospital.
There were 17 infants in the unit where 7 newborns were rescued while the other 10 died.
The exact reason for the fire outbreak could not be determined but hospital administration alleged the fire might have broken out due to electric short circuit.
Speaking to a national daily, the Civil Surgeon of Bhandara District General Hospital, Dr Pramod Khandate said that 17 children were admitted to the Sick Newborn Care Unit. “In the wee hours of Saturday, a nurse notice smoke emanating from this ward and altered doctors. The hospital staff tried their best to save the children. Ten children have died died, seven are safe,” said the Civil Surgeon.