Guwahati: The Assam cabinet on Thursday took several key decisions on matters including the Jorhat-Majuli bridge, suspension of operation against a Dimasa outfit, police verification for Govt jobs, mineral royalty.
The cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma was started with a minute silence for the victims of the majuli boat tragedy that occurred on Wednesday.
Subsequently, addressing the media, spokesperson and Assam Health Minister Keshab Mahanta highlighted the decisions taken at the cabinet meeting today-
• Additional Chief Secretary Maninder Singh to conduct an inquiry into the Majuli boat accident and will submit the report within one month.
• Jorhat police were directed to register a criminal case against those responsible for the incident.
• The bridge connecting Jorhat Majuli will be completed within four years.
• Assam Finance Minister Ajanta Neog to constantly monitor construction of the Jorhat-Majuli bridge with additional support from the State government.
• One-month suspension of operation against Dimasa National Liberation Army (DNLA), after the militant group declared a unilateral ceasefire for six months.
• From now onwards, police verification is not necessary in the case of state government jobs. Candidates will have to produce an affidavit and a self-declaration. Appropriate steps to be taken in case of misrepresentation of facts.
• Reservation for specially-abled candidates in government jobs to be increased from 3 percent to 4 percent.
• For government construction work, the royalty payable to the Forest department for using construction materials like sand, stones, etc. to be deducted from the contractor’s bill and will be submitted in treasury. For private construction in Urban areas, fixed royalty can be paid in 4 installments at the treasury.
• Distance education degrees, diplomas will be treated the same as a regular program.
• Assam State Organic Mission Agency to be constituted with Mission Organic Value Chain Development, Assam and Beekeeping and Honey Mission, Assam under its ambit.