Digital Desk : As Covid cases zoom past record numbers in many parts of the globe, including India, the usage of CoWin app,for covid home testing kits and others have become a cardinal action for all citizens even as the Union health ministry directs all states/UTs to set up round the clock functional rapid antigen test (RAT) booths.
While citizens have been encouraged to use home test kits, there are still some dos and don’t one needs to follow while using them.
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has advised the use of RAT home testing only in symptomatic individuals and immediate contacts of laboratory confirmed positive cases. The direction also advises against the indiscriminate use of the testing kit.
Here is a list of ICMR approved home test kits and apps associated with them before using:-
- Downloading Covid home testing mobile app – The ICMR approved home testing mobile apps are available both in Google Play Store (for Android users) and Apple App Store (iOS users).
- Information regarding the home kits in these apps – These apps will guide users with a comprehensive understanding of the testing procedure along with providing positive or negative test results of the patient.
- Result uploading via these apps – Patients can upload their Covid test results by clicking a picture of the test strip after completing the test procedure using the same mobile phone which was used for downloading the app and user registration. After completion of uploading, the test results will be displayed.
- Where does the test results then directed? – The test result data is centrally captured in a secure serve which is directly connected with the ICMR Covid-19 testing portal, where all data are eventually stored.
- User privacy – The ICMR has assured of complete user data privacy as the patient’s identity and privacy is maintained confidentially even during uploading of the data.
- What kind of data can a user share on these apps? – Users need to provide details like, name, date of birth, address, age, mobile number, vaccination status, Aadhaar card and more. These detail requirements might vary from app to app.
- What are ICMR approved home testing kits? – There are many home testing kits approved by ICMR such as Mylab Discovery CoviSelf: PanBio Covid-19, Antigen Rapid Test Device, AbCheck Rapid Antigen Self Test (Nasal), Ultra Covi-Catch SARS-CoV-2 Home test, Angcard Covid-19 Home test kit.