Staying in the air conditioner for a longer duration can exacerbate dry eyes syndrome, so it is advised not to spend too much time in the AC.
Digital Desk: When the temperature rises above 45 degrees, Air Conditioner (AC) becomes a need rather than a luxury. But did you know that sitting in the AC for long periods of time might harm your health in various ways? Even if you get a good night's sleep after a long day at work, remaining in an air conditioner might be harmful to your health and have nasty side effects.
Read to know about the consequences of sitting in the air conditioner for a long period:
1. Dry Eyes: Air conditioners can make your eyes dry. Due to our overreliance on electronic devices, dry eyes syndrome is becoming common these days. Dry eyes syndrome occurs when our tears do not effectively lubricate the eyes, resulting in dryness. Staying in the air conditioner for a longer duration can exacerbate dry eyes syndrome, so it is advised not to spend too much time in the AC.
2. Dry Skin and Frizzy Hair: Air conditioners have the potential to harm our skin and hair. Skin and hair get dry and damaged as moisture is removed from the air. Premature ageing, unwanted skin problems, dullness, and even skin regeneration can be caused by a lack of moisture. It prevents natural nutrients from reaching the skin and hair. Moreover, Air conditioners make our hair frizzy, cause hair loss and promote split ends.
3. Dehydration: AC can cause dehydration and does more harm than good. The air conditioner pulls too much humidity from the room, making you feel dehydrated.
4. Respiratory problems: Staying in the air conditioning for too long can cause respiratory difficulties. It can cause problems in the nose, throat and eyes. According to the report, you may experience dry throat, rhinitis, and nasal blockage.
5. Asthma and allergies: According to reports, AC can aggravate asthma and allergy symptoms in persons. If you don't clean your air conditioner properly, it can trigger allergies and worsen asthma.