Mumbai :A special court granted exemption to Pragya Thakur, Lt Col. Prasad Purohit and Sudhakar chaturvedi fro appearing for the Malegaon Blast case for this week.
When the matter was taken up by the special NIA court on Monday, the three accused filed applications through their lawyers seeking exemption from appearance.
While Pragya Thakur and Mr. Chaturvedi said they are busy with preparations for the upcoming results of the Lok Sabha polls, which they had contested, Mr. Purohit cited personal difficulties. The court allowed the applications.
The court also allowed an application filed by lawyers of the accused persons to visit the blast site in Malegaon, a town about 200 kilometers from here in Maharashtra’s Nasik district.
Last week, the special NIA court, which is conducting a trial against seven accused in the case, had directed all of them to appear before it at least once a week.
It then said it will reconsider of grant exemption from appearing in the court if cogent reasons were submitted.
Ms. Thakur, the BJP nominee from Bhopal Lok Sabha Seat, said in her application that as a candidate, she would have to fulfill certain procedures of the Election Commission including nominating her agents for the counting of votes in her constituency on May 23.
Mr. Chaturvedi who fought the election as an independent from Mirzapur Seat in Uttar Pradesh cited the same reason.