Digital Desk: Ahead of the IPL 2022 season, all eight teams had released the list of retained players who will fight for the title in the upcoming season. Mumbai Indians, Chennai Super Kings, Kolkata Knight Riders and Delhi Capitals have maintained the highest number of four players each. While Hyderabad, Rajasthan and Bangalore have retained three players each, Punjab has included two players.
Interestingly, the most surprising thing about the IPL retention of this season is the reduction in the salaries of MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli. Both cricketers have been added to the team at a lower price than in previous years.
Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) had retained Virat Kohli for Rs. 15 crores. In last season he was kept at Rs 17 crores. On the other hand, Chennai Super kings included MS Dhoni in their squad for just Rs. 12 crores.
This season, MS Dhoni held the second position in CSK’s team as Ravindra Jadeja, a close friend of MS Dhoni, retained the first position in the team. MS Dhoni, under whose team won the IPL trophy four times, decided to come forward to accept a lower salary because of his retirement.
Similarly, Virat Kohli also came down after he announced his resignation from RCB’s captaincy last season. At the same time, right-handed batsman Rohit Sharma has been retained by Mumbai Indians for Rs. 16 crores.
The list of players retained at the highest cost is-
- Ravindra Jadeja (Mumbai Indians) – 16 crores
- Rohit Sharma (Mumbai Indians) – 16 crores
- Rishabh Pant (Delhi Capitals) – 16 crores
- Virat Kohli (Royal Challengers Bangalore) – 15 crores
- Kane Williamson (Sunrisers Hyderabad) – 14 crores
- Sanju Samson (Rajasthan Royals) – 14 crores
- Mayank Agarwal (Punjab Kings) – 12 crores
- Jasprit Bumrah (Mumbai Indians) – 12 crores
- Andre Russell (Kolkata Knight Riders) – 12 crores
- MS Dhoni (Chennai Super Kings) – 12 crores
- Glenn Maxwell (Royal Challengers Bangalore) – 11 crores
- Jos Buttler (Rajasthan Royals) – 10 Crore