The unnamed man arrived at his nearby emergency department complaining of stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting that had started seven hours earlier...
Digital Desk: In an unusual case, a 34-year-old man in the United States was sent to the hospital after swallowing an entire banana wrapped in a condom in a fit of rage. A case study describing his condom-related mishap, which is said to be the world's first of its kind, was published earlier this week in the journal Cureus.
"A literature search on condom-related intestinal obstructions yielded numerous reports of cases wherein the condom was filled with drugs; few reports, however, involved fluid-filled condoms. To the best of our knowledge, the present case appears to be the first case in which a condom containing a banana was swallowed," the authors wrote in the study.
The unnamed man arrived at his nearby emergency department complaining of stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting that had started seven hours earlier. He was in such pain that he couldn't eat or drink, and he claimed that he hadn't used the toilet since the day before.
According to the report, doctors discovered a condom-wrapped banana obstructing the man's small intestine after doing a CT scan. They revealed that the "otherwise healthy man" admitted to having swallowed the condom-wrapped banana during a "hormonal rage" 24 hours earlier.
The doctors noted that the 34-year-old had a "history of depression," but he "denied intention of self-harm or prior history of foreign body ingestion." The individual also asserted that he had not been on drugs or drunk at the time.
Fortunately, the doctors were able to remove the condom from his small intestine, which was filled with bananas. He was discharged three days after the removal, after which he recovered enough to eat and excrete without any issues.