Beijing: As bizarre it may sound a man was horrified to discover live leeches stuck inside his throat and nostrils after he went to the hospital for a severe cough which had been continuing for the last two months.
The 60 year old patient whose has sought anonymity, spent two months with the leeches inside his body. It was only when his cough got unbearable that he decided to seek treatment and found the parasitic worms in his nostril and throat.
While an initial CT scan did not show anything unusual, doctors later performed a bronchoscopy that revealed two live leeches inside him. Upon operation one of the leech was found in his right nostril, while the other was found stuck below his glottis.
It is believed that the man, who often worked in the wild, contracted the leeches without realizing while drinking water from mountain streams.