New Infections reported in China’s ground zero Wuhan

Beijing: China reported a second day of cases of coronavirus in Wuhan on Monday after a month without new infections at the pandemic’s global epicenter, offering a stark warning of the dangers of a fresh wave.

The virus first emerged late last year sweeping through the city and surrounding Hubei province, killing thousands and sickening many more. It subsequently spread around the world.

 

Also read: India’s Covid-19 tally tops 67,000 with biggest one-day spike of 4,213 cases

 

Authorities in Wuhan imposed draconian restrictions on travel and movement in what appeared to have been a successful bid to quash the outbreak.

That lockdown began to ease in recent weeks, as authorities said the disease was under control, most recently with children returning to school, and travel to and from the city allowed.

 

Also read: Bois Locker Room: Police reveal twist in the case

 

But on Sunday authorities acknowledged one person had tested positive for the virus in Wuhan, and a day later, they said there were five more cases.

Local health officials said the new cases were all from the same residential compound, mostly older people.

The news of new infections at the global ground zero comes as many European nations begin the tricky task of navigating out of lockdowns imposed to halt the spread of the virus.

 

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Live Updates COVID-19 CASES
Close
Close