Colombo : With reports pouring in of death toll rising in the Sri Lankan terror attack, the official records have stated the death to have increased and presently numbered at 359 with more suspects being arrested.
Police spokesperson Ruwan Gunasekara also said on Wednesday morning that 18 suspects were arrested overnight, raising the total detained to 58. The Prime Minister warned on Tuesday that several suspects armed with explosives were still at large.
Another top government official said the suicide bombings at the churches, hotels and other sites were carried out by Islamic fundamentalists in apparent retaliation for the New Zealand mosque massacre last month.
The Islamic group has claimed responsibility for the Sri Lankan attacks and released images that purported to show the attackers. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said that investigators were still determining the extent of the bombers’ foreign links.