Earlier, Assam's nine boxers had registered for the event, including Lovlina Borgohain. Despite posting a video to support the event and confirming her participation in the 69 kg category, she later announced her withdrawal from the event.
Digital Desk: Amid dispute within the Boxing Federation of India (BFI), five boxers from Assam and a coach attended the Women's National Boxing Championships ignoring the state association's directives to participate in the tournament.
Bihar and Madhya Pradesh teams have boycotted the tournament. Assam too has stopped its boxers from participating in the women's event, including star Indian boxer and Tokyo Olympic medalist Lovlina Borgohain.
Meanwhile, the Assam Olympic Association intervened and sent a six-member team to the event that began on March 21, which had been postponed several times since last year.
Assam coach Diganta Nath, travelling with the five Assam boxers, said that it was a matter of boxers' career. It was in the paper and electronic media everywhere that the secretary ordered not to participate in the tournament, he added.
Earlier, Assam's nine boxers had registered for the event, including Lovlina Borgohain. Despite posting a video to support the event and confirming her participation in the 69 kg category, she later announced her withdrawal from the event.
The five boxers who are now participating were not on the original list but got the opportunity following the withdrawal of other players.
Olympic bronze medalist Vijender Singh, two-time World Champion Nikhat Zareen, Olympians Sarita Devi, and Manoj Kumar attended the first day of the event to cheer the boxers.
The top three boxers from each category will join the national camp.
Earlier, BFI President Ajay Singh in a press conference said that the Assam Boxing state unit and some other state units were not allowing their boxers to participate in the women's championship.
Leave A Comment