Tezpur: Over 300 shops were gutted after a major fire broke out at Chowk Bazar here in Sonitpur district of Assam, according to official report on Sunday.
The incident took place on Sunday midnight. More than 20 fire tenders from different districts were engaged into service to douse the flames, stated a senior official of the district administration.
According to reports, the raging fire erupted at one shop possibly due to a short circuit and spread rapidly, engulfing the entire market in Tezpur’s Borghola Chariali.
Reportedly, no one is injured in the mishap. Meanwhile, Prithviraj Rabha the newly elected AGP MLA from Tezpur visited the market and enquiry about the situation.
“Nearly, 1,200 families depend on the market proceeds for their livelihood.” the district administration added.
Presently, investigation is underway and further information is awaited.